Oven-baked fish sticks are crispy, tender, and SO good! Coated with breadcrumbs and delicious seasoning, these fish sticks are packed with flavor and it’s a recipe that the whole family will enjoy!
Kid-friendly meals are on my mind a lot! As a family of 6, we have easy and delicious meals all the time! Some of our favorites are these pepperoni rolls, these sloppy joes, and these yummy grilled cheese sandwiches.
Baked Fish Sticks
If you need a simple and easy way to get your kids to eat fish, these baked fish sticks are your solution! Not only are they super easy, but they are made fresh at home! No need to buy the frozen ones anymore once you try out these! Fresh is always the way to go, and you won’t even know what hit you when you try these fish sticks. They have the best flavor, and then that crispy outside makes them the perfect finger food!
These baked fish sticks are not only kid-friendly to eat, but they can make them too! Help them get involved with making the meal from start to finish, and not only will they have a greater appreciation for your cooking, but they will be so proud of themselves too! These only take about 20 minutes from start to finish, so go ahead, give them a try! I have a feeling that this menu will make its way on your weekly meal rotation!
Ingredients to Make Homemade Fish Sticks
Baked fish sticks are simple, easy, and only require a few ingredients. Plus, they taste insanely delicious… They are so good that you will never go back to store-bought again! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Cod: When you get out your cod, then slice it into strips.
- Salt and Pepper: I use these to season the fish sticks
- Flour: I used all purpose flour to coat the cod.
- Eggs: You will dip your cod into the eggs first so that the coating has something to stick to.
- Panko: I like to use panko crumbs because they make the best crispy crust.
- Parmesan: Mix this into the breadcrumbs to add a delicious taste to the coating.
- Seasonings: Old bay seasoning and garlic powder will be what you use to add some additional flavor to the cod.
How to Bake Fish Sticks
I love quick, easy, and delicious meals, and these fish sticks are no exception! Cook them up for lunch or dinner, and they will fly off your table!
- Prep: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Salt and pepper the cod strips.
- Separate Ingredients: Create a breading station for the fish. In one bowl add the flour. Then, in the second bowl whisk together the eggs and salt. In the last bowl add the Panko, parmesan cheese, old bay seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Coat the Cod: First dip the cod in the flour, then the egg, and lastly the Panko mix.
- Bake: Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or golden and crispy.
I have a few secrets up my sleeve when it comes to baking fish sticks! Stick to these tips, and yours will turn out absolutely perfect!
- Size: When you are slicing your cod just make sure that you are cutting them about the same size. This will help them cook thoroughly and evenly.
- Breading: Don’t skimp when it comes to coating your cod. Fish sticks are meant to come out with a cripy coating and that can only happen when you have adequate breading around the fish.
- Substituitions: If don’t have any cod available then you can use any white fish. They are more mild in flavor so you could try Haddock or Tilapia instead!
How to Freeze Baked Fish Sticks
The great thing about these fish sticks is that you can prepare them and freeze them for later!
- Quick Freeze: Once the fish sticks have cooled then place then on a baking sheet and put them in the freezer for an hour.
- Freeze: After they are frozen then you can take them out and put them in an airtight container or ziploc bag. Label it with the date and they will last in the freezer for up to 3 months
- Reheat: To reheat your fish sticks, cook them in the oven at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until they are warmed through.
How to Store Leftovers
Once your fish sticks have cooled then you can store them in an airtight container in your fridge. They will last 2-3 days. I would reheat them in your oven at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes. If you reheat them in the microwave, they will be soggy and not crispy!
Fish sticks make a great after school snack, lunch or even dinner! Make them even better by putting the right dipping sauces and sides with them. This will be one dinner that your entire family raves about! Plus, it’s pretty easy and healthy. I’d say that’s a win-win!
Baked Fish Sticks
- 1 pound cod sliced into strips
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Panko
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 2 teaspoons old bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Salt and pepper the cod strips.
Create a breading station for the fish. In one bowl add the flour. In the second bowl whisk together the eggs and salt. In the last bowl add the Panko, parmesan cheese, old bay seasoning, and garlic powder.
First dip the cod in the flour, then the egg, and lastly the Panko mix.
Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or golden and crispy.