These butter swim biscuits are soft and fluffy on the inside with a crisp outside edge. They are SOO GOOD and will go with just about anything!
You need a good biscuit to go with just about any meal. Try these swim butter biscuits with this Fried Chicken, these Mashed Potatoes, and these amazing Green Beans for a meal the whole family will love!
What ARE Butter Swim Biscuits?
If you love a good biscuit then you are going to LOVE these! They are cooked in butter to make them soft, moist, and tasty. But they also have a delicious and crispy outside edge. The texture is just AMAZING. And you really can’t go wrong with a delicious biscuit. They are classic, simple and a side that everyone loves!
I can’t get over how easy this recipe is! In fact, you probably already have just about everything that you need to make them. You may just have to pick up some buttermilk. Or, you can make your own using this buttermilk recipe. I mean, you all know that I love a good recipe that screams home-cooked without having to spend the entire day in the kitchen! You will love these so much that you will want to include them in every meal! I know that I do!
Ingredients in Butter Swim Biscuits
You probably have just about everything that you need to make these delicious biscuits! See the recipe card below for a list of exact measurements.
- Flour: I used all purpose flour and it worked great in this recipe!
- Baking powder: This is what will help the biscuits rise and be fluffy.
- Salt: The salt will help enhance the flavor of the biscuits.
- Granulated sugar: I like to use a little bit of sure to sweeten them up just a touch.
- Buttermilk: You can use store bought buttermilk or make this homemade buttermilk. It’s super easy!
- Butter: I prefer to use unsalted butter so that I don’t have to change the amount of salt in the recipe.
Let’s Make Some Biscuits!
These swim butter biscuits only take a few minutes to put together! You will be drizzling honey and eating them before you know it!
- Preheat: Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Whisk dry ingredients: In a medium bowl, add flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Whisk ingredients to combine.
- Mix in buttermilk: Pour in 2 cups cold buttermilk. Stir just until combined. Be careful not to over mix it.
- Melt the butter and pour into pan. Add dough: Pour the melted butter into an 8×8 inch baking pan. Pour the dough on top of the butter. Evenly spread the batter into the pan.
- Precut the squares: Using a knife, pre-cut 9 squares into the unbaked batter.
- Bake: Bake for 25 minutes, or until the tops are golden and the biscuits are baked through.
- Cool and serve: Allow the biscuits to cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
These swim butter biscuits turn out perfectly soft and fluffy! Here are some baking tips to make sure that yours turn out just right.
- Melting the butter: Watch your butter closely when you are melting it. You don’t want it to be so hot that it boils. Just melted enough that you can pour it into the pan!
- Don’t open the oven door: I know that it’s tempting to open the oven door while you are baking your biscuits. After all, you just want to see how they are doing! But when you open the door while you are baking, you let a lot of the heat out. This makes it so that they can bake unevenly. Keep the door closed and then just use the oven light!
- Don’t overmix: When you over mix or set your mixer to mix on high then you add more air to your batter! It can get rubbery if overmixed. So use room temperature ingredients so that you don’t have to mix so many lumps and do it on a lower speed!
How to Store Leftovers
If you are lucky enough to have leftovers of these swim butter biscuits, then you will be happy to know that they are super easy to store!
- Refrigerator: Once they are cooled then place them in an airtight container. Put them in the fridge and they can last for 4-5 days!
- Reheat: To warm them back up, simply warm them in the oven at the lowest temperature. This usually takes about 10 minutes! Or, you can pop them in the microwave on high for about 30 seconds to a minute or until they are warmed through!
Butter Swim Biscuits
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk, cold
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
Preheat oven to 450°F.
In a medium bowl, add flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Whisk ingredients to combine.
Pour in 2 cups cold buttermilk. Stir just until combined. Be careful not to over mix it.
Pour the melted butter into an 8×8 inch baking pan. Pour the dough on top of the butter. Evenly spread the batter into the pan.
Using a knife, pre-cut 9 squares into the unbaked batter.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until the tops are golden and the biscuits are baked through.
Allow the biscuits to cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!