Having homemade breadcrumbs on hand is a great way to add extra flavor and texture to your meals. They’re free of preservatives and are seasoned with delicious Italian herbs to level up all of your favorite recipes!
Once you have these homemade breadcrumbs ready to use, you’re going to love the way they make all of your favorite recipes taste! From delicious baked ravioli to chicken tenders, the extra flavor and texture this pantry staple adds is unmatched!
Homemade Italian Style Breadcrumbs
I use breadcrumbs in more recipes than I can count. They’re such a common ingredient in my cooking that sometimes I don’t realize how important they are! Breadcrumbs are a vital ingredient in many dishes, from casseroles and meatloaf to soups and salads, but the truth is, I think many of us don’t realize how we could be upgrading all of our favorite dishes by making this simple ingredient from scratch! It really is a game-changer!
Not only do homemade breadcrumbs taste a million times better than what you get from the store, but they’re also free of additives and preservatives! While this limits their shelf life slightly, homemade breadcrumbs are a healthier option, and their fresh flavor upgrades every dish! It’s a must-have for your kitchen! Try them in a breaded chicken bake or homemade meatballs and you’ll be a believer, too. The flavor and delicate crunch they add are just too good.
Ingredients for Homemade Breadcrumbs
The simple ingredients in these breadcrumbs are what make them so good. The best part about making your own batch of breadcrumbs at home is that you can get the flavor and texture exactly the way you like it! Feel free to add in any additional herbs and seasonings! Measurements for all of the ingredients listed below can be found in the recipe card at the end of the post.
- Sliced Bread: I typically use white or French bread, but any kind of bread works here! Using whole-wheat or sprouted bread is a great way to add a pop of earthy flavor and fiber to all of your favorite dishes. If you’re wanting your breadcrumbs to have more flavor, sourdough is a great option, too.
- Italian Seasoning: You can use prepackaged Italian seasoning or customize your own blend using my recipe here.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic adds a sharp, savory flavor that makes the breadcrumbs so flavorful!
- Onion Powder: Helps deepen the flavor of the breadcrumbs, making them savory and a little sweet.
- Salt: Enhances the overall flavor of your entire batch.
How to Make Italian Breadcrumbs
Making breadcrumbs is so easy and only takes 10 minutes from start to finish! The fresh, toasty flavor these breadcrumbs have is going to be a game-changer in all of your cooking.
- Preheat Oven: Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Prepare Bread: Tear bread into smaller pieces and place on a baking sheet.
- Toast: Place the sheet of torn bread into the preheated oven and toast for about 5 minutes. Just enough to dry out the bread. Watch the bread carefully so it doesn’t burn or get too brown.
- Add to Food Processor: Transfer the toasted bread into a large food processor or blender. Add the dried Italian herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
- Blend: Blend or pulse until blended into fine crumbs.
- Use or Store: Use immediately or store in an airtight container.
Tips and Variations
The great thing about this breadcrumb recipe is that it can be adjusted to work with whatever tools and ingredients you have on hand!
- Can I Make Homemade Breadcrumbs Without a Food Processor? Yes! Pop your sliced bread into a Ziploc bag and then put in the freezer for a few hours or until hardened. Use a box grater to get a fine grain and grate the bread for the same effect as blending! From there, just let the breadcrumbs thaw in the fridge and then mix in all of your desired seasonings.
- Do I Need to Use Stale Bread? Nope! While some people swear by using stale bread, the only real reason for this is that stale bread has a harder consistency, but we’re toasting our bread in this recipe so the end result is the same. Fresh bread works just fine! In my opinion, it even works better than stale bread because it has more flavor.
- What Can I Use Homemade Breadcrumbs For? So many different things! Just a few of the countless options are: meatloaf, casserole, chicken bake, funeral potatoes, chicken parmesan, mozzarella sticks, chicken katsu, shrimp scampi, and croquettes.
How Long Do Homemade Breadcrumbs Last?
If stored properly, your homemade Italian breadcrumbs will last for a month. While the shelf life isn’t as long as what you’d get from the grocery store, trust me- the flavor and freshness of these breadcrumbs will have you hooked. And with how easy they are to whip up, making another batch is no problem at all!
Homemade Italian Breadcrumbs
- 10 slices white bread, or any bread works
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
Tear bread into smaller pieces and place on a baking sheet.
Place the sheet of torn bread into the preheated oven and toast for about 5 minutes. Just enough to dry out the bread. Watch the bread carefully so it doesn't burn or get too brown.
Transfer the toasted bread into a large food processor or blender. Add the dried Italian herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
Blend or pulse until blended into fine crumbs.
Use immediately or store in an airtight container.